Sunday 14 November 2010

SQL Server Denali: First Impressions

So I, along with a great many others, have been playing around with Denali CTP1 over the last few days and reading about the many announcements made at SQL PASS. Its become clear that its probably the biggest release since SQL Server 2005 in terms of new features, with possibly the biggest splash being made by 'Project Crescent' (the reporting tool I mentioned in my previous Denali post) and the Business Intelligence Semantic Model (BISM).

They're both described in quite a bit of detail here, and the introduction of BISM has provoked some misgivings in the developer community. However the introduction of the Powerpivot engine (otherwise known as Vertipaq) to developer tools, has to be a good thing even if they haven't managed to integrate it with Analysis Services. Potentially this could even mean the end of data warehousing and ETL, although this has been tried before...

Project Crescent is Silverlight-based and looks like the sort of end-user BI tool those of us working with MS BI software have been waiting for since Reporting Services came out. There's a very brief demo of it here.

On a more detailed note as I said in my previous post you won't be able to use the new Denali CTP1 projects if you have 2008 or 2008 R2 installed and I found that I had to uninstall the 2008 Team Foundation Client as well. However if you're using Windows 7 PowerShell 2.0 is already installed.

Additionally on starting SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) I found the Create Catalog on the Integration Services folder (of which more in a later post) greyed out as follows:



When I tried to connect to the (now superceded) Integration Services Server I got the following 'Access denied' error:



On Windows 7 both problems were solved by simply running SSMS in Administrator mode by right-clicking on the SSMS icon and selecting 'Run as Administrator':


More soon...

No comments: