Wednesday 22 September 2010

Data dude build without a Visual Studio installation

The simple answer is that you can't.

I've just run into this issue myself. It strikes me that requiring an additional client license, and a full VS install simply to_build_a project is way over-the-top. The TFS alternative is obviously better (it being a server product) - but potentially still requires additional licensing. Anyway with increasing numbers of shops running continuous integration I think it removes a significant amount of desirable functionality from the Visual Studion database project story.

If you want to try and get database projects built only using MSbuild vote here.

2 comments:

jamiet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jamiet said...

As far as I know (tho don't take my word for it) you are permitted to install VS on a build server without a license but nonetheless, this is still a huge limitation. Not happy :(